For 2017, this website will allow you to submit clue answers for information about why a location was chosen and the clue style that got you there.
Click here to submit your answer to Clue #1 as the password to view the next page. The answer should be the book title typed with spaces but without any capital letters.
Rules for 2017
2) You will be solving cryptic clues in order to determine the next locations. The clue you will receive is always two locations away. For example, when you complete location #2, you receive clue #4, and then you can solve it on the way to location #3 (which you should have figured out on the way to location #2).
3) Bring a prize to the starting line of zero actual value, moderate sentimental value, and limitless hilarity value. These prizes will be redistributed at the final location. If you are hearing this for the first time, look around your apartment for the thing you should have konmaried years ago. Bring that.
4) This year’s website will be key. www.fiveboroamazingrace.com will have exclusive access to certain clues and will have information about why locations and clue styles were selected. Bookmark it now.
5) I know this is called a race, but this is not really a race. Some teams are in it for the race and others are just in it to challenge themselves and have a fun day with friends. Feel free to be as competitive as you want but remember that a number of factors beyond clue-solving ability might impact the “standings” at the end, so the standings are never better than unofficial.
6) Be in touch with me by gmail if you are really stuck, have solved a clue, or have completed an obstacle and are unsure of what to do next. I will respond to people in the order in which they gmailed me. If you want everyone on your team to receive the response from me, cc your team members in your email to me. I know I will not have time to search for their names or add them myself. If you text me, I will get back to those after I am through all my emails in order to keep things fair.
7) Coordinated team outfits are highly encouraged.
8) The theme of this year’s race is literature in the five boroughs. You will not need to know anything about literature to solve the clues.
9) There is nothing that anyone can do to prevent teams from teaming up throughout the day. I will not be in the same location as you for most of the day. Your team has the right to decide how collaborative you want to be. While collaboration is allowed, following another team to the next location when they don’t want to be followed and your team didn’t actually solve the clue is not cool. If you are stuck, please email me for a hint instead of following someone who does not want to be followed.
10) Please post pictures of your team to social media that do not give away locations if you are doing the first one, since many people will do this again in two weeks. Use the hashtag #fivebororace2017
11) Be early to the starting line. Email/call/text me if you cannot find me once you get there. The starting line is always harder to get to than you think because of train delays, so plan to be early and maybe eat breakfast in the area or something.
12) Cars are not allowed as transportation between locations of the race.
13) Bikes are allowed this year. Tomorrow should be a beautiful day for biking.
14) If you are planning on taking public transit, I estimate that you will need it at least seven times throughout the day. Plan accordingly with an unlimited card.
15) Participating teams need to have smart phones that can go on the web, access maps and view videos. Have a fully charged smartphone at the start of the race. Ideally, have many on your team. Take measures to conserve battery life. It will be crucial at many points in the race.
16) Bring water, wear comfortable shoes, and take other precautions to stay hydrated and happy throughout the day.
17) Teams cannot split up to have some members go to one location and other members go to another.
18) You will not need money for any specific thing this year.
19) Remember that the only actual point of this race is to have fun. If something goes wrong for your team during the course of the day, remember that there is no actual value in winning and that I am doing the best I can!